Tolling Bell Cultist
(2/9/04 8:10 am)
Just some general ideas...my campaign is more hack and slash but I'll give what pointers I can.
1) Consider hiding evidence of Tharizdun (such as the Obex symbol on Yssalanish in the moathouse)...thus increasing the mystery of the module.
2) Do your best to come up with a personality for the various major players (Y'day, Lareth, etc...)
3) Try to find some hooks for your characters that tie in to some of the challenges later in the adventure. (Hedrack: "I am your father"...okay, maybe not so blatant but you get the idea.)
4) It's a looong campaign. Keep track of time and throw in some minor details...rain in the spring, harvest time, season changes, festivals, etc.
5) Despite the desire for role-play, keep in mind that some adversary's are going to require the business end of the sword. Encourage your players to keep raw killing power in mind with their characters - there's no reason why both can't co-exist.
Read some of the campaign logs on here. I2K's and Andorax's are excellent...mine is more hack n' slash but you're welcome to it. A good idea is to read the introductory few posts of several of them.